Thursday, November 7, 2013

November is Diabetes Awareness Month: Photo A Day


November is Diabetes Awareness Month.  

I've been commemorating the event by posting a photo a day on Facebook.  I'm also sharing the photos here.  Here's the list, and the first 6 photos.






Past


Check

Snack

Proud
Advocate

Relationship


Past

This was on February 9, 2013. One month before Eleanor was diagnosed with diabetes. It was the last birthday party she ever attended that she didn't have to weigh her piece of birthday cake. It seems like a million years ago. There haven't been too many birthday party invitations since then, actually. Interesting. I'm sure it's not a conspiracy, but I can't help but wonder if more individual families have made a decision not to include her because they weren't sure how to do so.  I'm thinking of writing a blog post on how a child with diabetes can go to birthday parties, even if they're sleep overs.  It takes a little bit of extra work and a commitment  but it can be done.  Don't you think it's worth it?

Snack

Diabetes Awareness Month: Photo A Day: November 3: Snack: Peanut Butter Trail Mix Balls From Dishing It Up Disney Style Ingredients:
1 C Peanut Butter
1 C Honey
3 C Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 C ground flaxseed
1 C mini chocolate chips
1/2 C chopped nuts of your choice
1/2 C dried fruit of your choice

Proud

This is Eleanor doing her own finger stick and Bolus in the car last night. She does so much for herself now.

Advocate

This morning, we were on our way to the orthodontist, and I mentioned that I needed to remember to look up the word for the Photo-A-Day when we got there. A few minutes after we arrived, I looked it up and said, “Oh! ‘advocate.” 

Eleanor asked, “What’s that?”

I answered, “That’s all the kicking and screaming I did to get you put on ratios when the hospital said they don’t *usually* take kids off of fixed carb diets and put them on ratios until after their parents take the “taking charge” class, and advocating is all the kicking and screaming I did to get you put on an insulin pump 3 months after diagnosis when the hospital said that they don’t *usually* put kids on insulin pumps until a year after diagnosis.”

That was when Kenneth said, “Advocating is what Mom was doing when she told the hospital what they could do with their ‘usually’”

Yup.

Relationship

Michael texted us a pic of him with his Dexcom. He and Eleanor definitely have a special relationship because of their shared experience with diabetes. I'm sorry they have it, but glad they have each other, if it's possible to feel both feelings at once.

We keep a baby monitor in Eleanor's loft now, so we can hear her Dexcom alerts. He was up there with her one night recently waiting out a stubborn low to come up, before he finally came to bed. Through the monitor I heard them talking and she said to him, "Sometimes, when you feel low, don't you hate it when…"

And through the monitor I heard his voice murmuring a reply though I could not make out all the words.

My eyes stung with tears, because I could not love him more just for being there to understand her. This is one thing I can never be for her, so I'm glad he can, even though I wish he couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll post it as soon as I see that it's relevant to the conversation and not spam. I appreciate you reading Girl Glycosylated.